As a member of the professional medical team, accurately performs routine laboratory analyses on blood, urine, body fluids and tissues according to the approved protocols of NYS which require limited exercise of independent judgment, theoretical knowledge and responsibility. This testing is performed under the supervision of a medical technologist, laboratory supervisor, manager, or director of a clinical laboratory within a published turn around time using a variety of instruments and methods following regulatory laboratory requirements.
DEPARTMENT: Medical Technologist
- New York State Department of Education License or Limited Permit as a Clinical Laboratory Technician.
- Certification by ASCP preferred, but not required
- Performs routine clinical laboratory testing accurately under the direction of the on-site manager and as observed by the lead or senior technologist or designee.
- May perform basic preventive maintenance, set-up and troubleshooting of equipment and instrumentation when required.
- Performs all required quality assurance and quality control activities for manual and automated methods.
- Adheres to all regulatory requirements as outlined in the department manual.
- May communicate stat and critical lab results and prolonged instrument malfunctions causing delays in test results to physicians, nursing units and other appropriate medical personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of required computer functions associated with ordering, performing, resulting testing and calling up various reports to assist in completing testing and the management of workflow.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as requested by manager.