Performs ultrasound procedures on patients in accordance with physician orders.
LOCATION: Massena Hospital
DEPARTMENT: MH Main
SCHEDULE: Days; 8 hour shifts & on-call
- Requires national registry in ultrasound technology within one (1) year of employment including abdominal specialty; other specialty registry(s) completed within three (3) years of employment.
- Requires good reading and deductive skills in order to interpret physician requests and effectively solve problems.
- Requires sufficient sensitivity and interpersonal skills to deal with apprehensive patients in a professional and compassionate manner.
- Requires positive and effective communication skills for interaction with physicians and staff in emotionally charged situations.
- Assists the physician during those ultrasound procedures requiring the physician's presence.
- Lifts and moves patients with assistance.
- Labels and processes all studies correctly to assure prompt and quality medical care. Notes pertinent clinical information.
- Operates all stationary and mobile x-ray equipment available to the Medical Imaging department except in the ultrasound and C.T. equipment.
- Notifies supervisor of equipment deficiencies.
- Develops x-rays and assists in maintaining processing equipment by assuring that chemical solutions are kept at prescribed levels.
- Assures the continued and safe operation of all equipment assigned to the ultrasound department. Notifies supervisor of any deficiencies.
- Assures a sufficient level of supplies required for a ultrasound departmental operation.
- Notifies supervisor of shortages in a timely manner.
- Assists in the training of student x-ray technologists. Is responsible for their actions with regards to patient care.
- Assists in the training of staff radiological technologists assigned in the specialty area of ultrasound.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS M - Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; Requires frequent walking, standing or squatting.