The primary role of a Laboratory Assistant is to receive and track patient samples into the laboratory information system, maintaining specimen integrity for all laboratory testing in the support of the operation of the laboratory.
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION: Canton-Potsdam Hospital
DEPARTMENT: Laboratory Services
SCHEDULE: 7.5hr, day shift
- Associates degree in medical field preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years laboratory experience preferred.
- Notifies departments of problem resolutions pertaining to specimen discrepancies.
- Understands and follows departmental policies and safety procedures to reduce risk of blood and body fluid exposure.
- Retrieves samples from Specimen Processing and delivers to the appropriate testing department.
- Maintains inventory, receives and stocks ordered items, checks expiration dates, logs in media and reagents.
- Answers phone calls, making leadership aware of any issues that may arise.
- Performs daily sample pending review, monitors batch testing pending, and locating missing samples in support of testing operation.
- Performs daily support system checks for functionality and verification that they are in proper working order. i.e. water system, deionized water system. Elevate to leadership when systems deviate from expected tolerances.
- Provides proficiency testing support by receiving surveys, ordering in LIS, assigning to MTs and filing paperwork.
- Performs quality control verification of pipettes, timers, balances and other laboratory equipment.
- Refers unresolved problems to MT or supervisor for assistance.
- Continuously assesses work processes and makes suggestion to supervisor for improved work methods and ways to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and solve operational problems.
- Monitors departmental reagent inventories and notifies appropriate person when supplies reach reorder level.
- Works with supervisor and other laboratory staff to plan for, and accomplish, departmental and organizational goals and objectives.
- Promotes and supports a positive team environment within the department.
- Performs additional duties as directed by supervision.
- Communicates with external customers when presented with problems or special requests and reports them to the appropriate leader.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS M - Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; Requires frequent walking, standing or squatting.