Assistant Nurse Manager - Operating Room
Rochester, New York
At Rochester Regional Health, we know that delivering the best care means empowering nurses throughout every stage of their career. We’ve created a unique environment that fosters professional development and personal growth for our team members including a clinical ladder, competitive pay and benefits, and support for continuing education. It’s our way of investing in those who care.
The Assistant Nurse Manager (ANM) is responsible for the clinical care to patients and direct oversight of day-to-day responsibilities of nursing team members. The ANM is the main contact for a variety of nursing functions in support of management and staff. Serves as a resource for clinical expertise and mentoring / coaching of staff. Facilitates the delivery of quality patient care through strong critical thinking skills, open communication, collaboration with the interdisciplinary health team, and leadership. The ANM drives the staff to provide an exceptional experience for the patient and family.
STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Operating Room
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing required
- Registered Nurse license in New York State
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification through the AHA
- Certification in area of specialty by a National Accrediting Organization preferred
- One (1) to Three (3) years of experience as a Registered Nurse preferred; demonstrated leadership qualities and behaviors preferred
Performance Improvement / Evidence Based Practice/Nursing Research:
- Demonstrates knowledge of evidence-based practice within practice area and identifies opportunities for performance improvement.
- Participates and utilizes the performance improvement process to improve clinical practice.
- Completes at least one clinical research utilization (CRU) form for submission to Nursing Research Department utilizing a research article from the last 5 years from research performed in the United States.
Direct Oversight of Nursing Personnel:
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for oversight of nursing and non-nursing personnel on a unit
- Demonstrates exceptional communication skills with team members and patients / families.
- Functions as a leader with the ability to act as a resource person (both clinically and non-clinically) for nursing personnel, physicians and providers
- In collaboration with the Nurse Manager/Director, investigates and resolves patient/family/significant other complaints
- Provides leadership by delegating appropriate responsibilities to assigned nurses and ancillary personnel.
- Collaborates with others in both the internal and external environment to promote/ensure optimal care for the patient
- Assesses clinical expertise of nursing personnel, monitoring assignments and providing feedback and documentation to both team members and / or Nurse Manager
- Assesses the needs and provides recommendations regarding team member clinical education to Clinical Resource Nurse / Educator / Clinical Nurse Specialist
- •Completes performance appraisals for direct reports and assists Nurse Manager with performance appraisals for other team members on the unit
- Manages the performance of team members with the support of the Nurse Manager.
- Coordinates daily huddles and Care team rounds in order to drive the plan of care, identify and remove barriers and assist with care transitions for all patients on the unit.
Participates in unit-specific and system-wide responsibilities:
- Performs daily leader rounding, and assures that team members are regularly rounding on all patients to assure their comfort.
- Develops programs and strategies to monitor the quality of patient care and patient outcomes
- Assists Nurse Manager in developing, justifying and implementing the long-term staffing pattern, personnel needs, budget negotiation and recruitment plan
- Participates in organizational compliance audits or if delegated, holds team members accountable for completion.
- Attends all required educational programs and participates in supervisory team member education and training programs as required.
- Demonstrates Clinical competency in area of specialty and assists in completion of competency for other team members as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS RN - Registered Nurse - New York State Education Department (NYSED); BLS - Basic Life Support - American Heart Association (AHA)
Rochester Regional Health is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Helping you succeed
Discover all the ways Rochester Regional Health supports your professional development and personal growth.
Nurses who advance on our clinical ladder receive a promotion at the bedside through growth in their skillset, a new title and monetary recognition up to $3.00/hour
Rapid Pay Increases
Receive rapid pay increases every six months during the first two years of employment, and annual increases thereafter.
Nurses earn up to an additional $1.00/hour for each certification earned plus a $1,000 bonus for the first certification earned, and $500 for the second certification.
I began my healthcare career as a patient care technician while working towards my BSN. Rochester Regional Health offers a variety of opportunities for nurses, and leadership empowers us to fine-tune our interests and passions, while developing a strong clinical practice.Megan Murphy, MSN, RN, BSN Nurse Educator
I am very impressed with the focus and investment on education and professional development that’s being developed and implemented at RRH. Investing in staff is what distinguishes a good organization from a great one and I’m happy to see that RRH is working hard to distinguish itself as a great regional employer.Benjamin C. Snyder, RN, BSN Nurse Manager
Rochester Regional Health has been very supportive and inviting of any opportunities that I’ve wanted to explore. The opportunities for growth are truly unlimited. As the chair of the Clinical Ladder Committee, I’ve seen first-hand how many nurses take advantage of this and explore opportunities for their own growth and advancement.Kaitlin Costello, RN, BSN, CEN, TCRNClinical Nurse Leader
Find Your Way
At Rochester Regional Health, empowering our nurses as they build their careers is our top priority. If you’re looking to make a change, learn more about how we can help you build a successful and fulfilling nursing career.
Based on your preferences and skill sets, you’ll have the opportunity to pursue the nursing career path that interests you most.
Deepen your knowledge as a specialist within the expansive specialty unit that you are most passionate about, including:
- Acute Medicine
- Critical Care
Kaitlin Costello, RN, BSN, CEN, TCRNClinical Nurse Leader
Help others broaden their skills and proficiencies as a:
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Clinical Resource Nurse
- Nurse Educator
Megan Murphy, MSN, RN, BSN Nurse Educator
Lead the way for other nurses with positions that include:
- Charge Nurse
- Clinical Nurse Leader
- Nurse Manager
- Nurse Director
- Associate CNO
Kristen Oppet, RN, BS, MSHA Vice President, Chief Nursing Officer
Take care of every person at every level by joining departments that require your expertise including:
- Call Center
- Care Management
- Clinical Informatics
- Infection Prevention
- Nurse Recruitment (HR)
- Patient Safety & Quality
- Performance Improvement
- Utilization Review