Directs the Rochester General Health Systems pharmacy practice and is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of regional pharmacy services. Oversees the establishment of each facilities specific policies, procedures, standards and their standardization across the system where appropriate. Collaborates with site specific management to ensure performance and maintain quality of pharmacy services. Coordinates inter-affiliate cooperation to contain costs and provide the maximum level of services to patients and hospital staff.
STATUS: Full Time
- Graduate from an accredited School of Pharmacy
- At least 10 years of experience as hospital pharmacist; at least 5 years in management in a multi-hospital setting.
- Strong organization, leadership, and communication skills.
- Plans, organizes and directs system pharmacy activities. Develops goals and objectives, establishes and implements policies and procedures for system operation. Oversees affiliates pharmacy performance, working with affiliate management to effect change, improving services and assuring compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Medication Distribution
- Develops and maintains a system wide drug distribution systems including but not limited to:
- -Automated Dispensing Machines ( MedSelect, Pyxis, Omnicell)
- -Unit Dose distribution
- -IV Compounding
- -Total Parenteral Nutrition
- -Sample Medication Utilization
- Manages the development, negotiations, evaluation, supplier selection, implementation of RGHS contracts for Pharmaceutical goods and services.
- System Pharmacy Practice
- Evaluate affiliate pharmacy practices: reporting, record keeping, security of medications and other controlled substances. Provide to the affiliates of RGHS findings and demonstration of new techniques and equipment.
- Ensure the pharmacy function is represented at conferences and working team meetings.
- Works with affiliate leaders to ensures maintenance of the affiliates pharmacy department facilities. Including: location, equipment, and automation to promote efficiency, health, comfort and safety of staff and patients.
- Assure delivery of quality pharmacy services for inpatients, outpatients and employees.
- Act as a consultant to medical, nursing and administrative staff and initiate new pharmacy ventures.
- Develop operating budgets, review and provide input into affiliate budgets. Use the system leverage to maximum financial advantage.
- Investigates, pursues, and implements budget savings initiatives.
- Consults with external departments providing pharmaceutical forecasting and budget building support.
- Performs budget variance analysis for Pharmacy and external accounts, providing explanation to administration.
- Manages all Pharmacy cost centers including Special Purpose Funds to ensure accurate and timely postings
- Establishes a system whereby pharmacotherapy expertise is leveraged system wide to assure the quality of care. This shall include but is not limited to:
- -The drug of choice for the diagnosis
- -The correct dose, taking into consideration the patient’s age, weight and bodily functions and the indication the drug is being used for.
- -Monitoring for adverse drug interactions.
- -Adverse effects experienced by the patient and their possible relationship to the medications they are taking.
- -Achievement of drug therapy outcomes.
- Oversee clinical pharmacy services:
- -IV to PO
- -Anticoagulation Service
- -Antibiotic Stewardship
- -Medication Information
- STAFF DEVELOPMENT
- Select, train/orient and assign department staff (through subordinate managers), Develop standards and performance and monitor results.
- Provide for educational needs of pharmacy staff and other healthcare professionals to changes within the pharmacy, formulary changes etc.