Director, Laboratory Operations
The Director, Laboratory Operations – Elmgrove Laboratory is responsible for operations of Rochester Regional Health’s (RRH) Elmgrove Laboratory testing for ambulatory medical diagnostics. Oversee microbiology, hematology, chemistry, and flow cytometry. Partner with the clinical and operational leaders to ensure safe, high quality operation of the laboratory and associated RRH ambulatory sites, consistent with all NYS DOH, CAP and other regulatory and accreditation requirements. Lead and manage cross functional laboratory teams, collaborate with clinical, IT, Finance and other leaders to ensure successful, quality-driven, financially-sound laboratory operations, supporting growth, innovation, change management and harmonization of RRH Laboratories’ services.
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION: Elmgrove Laboratory; 160 Elmgrove Park, Rochester, NY
DEPARTMENT: RRH Laboratory Services
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Biological Science, Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 7 years of experience in a laboratory setting required.
- 3 years of progressive leadership experience preferred.
- Six Sigma/Lean experience preferred.
- NYS Department of Education Medical Technologist Licensure preferred.
- ASCP MT certification preferred.
- Leadership. Develops short and long range goals and objectives that are in alignment with service line’s goals. Provides direction, guidance and leadership to the Elmgrove Laboratory leadership team that includes but not limited to: Microbiology, Hematology, Chemistry, and Flow Cytometry. Accountable for staff development & retention including but not limited to technical & professional performance, training and training documentation, and talent management. Defines and holds managers, supervisors and staff responsible for defining and achieving goals. Promote a highly accountable environment of professionalism, positivity, and respect.
- Operations. Partner with key stakeholders across RRH to drive process/quality improvement, projects, cost savings, integration, instrument evaluation/implementation, volume/resource planning, and business forecasting. Accountable for all aspects of laboratory operations including but not limited to: operational excellence, quality, financial performance, and labor management. Develops, maintains and reports Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for workflows, resources, quality and turn-around times for laboratory testing; drives initiatives to meet and exceed KPIs. Manages relationships with key vendors; negotiates vendor contracts; researches and makes recommendations for new capital equipment and contracts for reagents and instrumentation to meet the needs of the Elmgrove Laboratory. Support harmonization efforts as appropriate. Ensure client satisfaction by supporting business development, addressing client needs, investigating issues and meeting with clients as needed. Partner with Laboratory Medical Director and Elmgrove Laboratory leadership team to develop, maintain and ensures adherence at the Elmgrove Laboratory. Partner with Laboratory leadership in standardization efforts when appropriate.
- Quality. Partner with Quality Assurance & Regulatory Affairs to ensure the Laboratory Operations develop and administer appropriate processes to ensure relevant regulatory compliance. Proactively works with Laboratory Medical Director, Assistant Directors and Laboratory leadership to improve work processes; oversees implementation of solutions to problems in a timely manner.
- Financial Performance. Accountable for budget preparation, implementation, monitoring, and adjustment as necessary to meet strategies, goals, and objectives. Oversees development and tracking of financially focused metrics, such as cost-per-test, to support financial planning. Oversees invoicing and revenue capture operations and works collaboratively to optimize billing and collections operations; establishes reporting procedures to track and improve business operations. Develops business plans for proposed new programs/services, to justify requests for additional staffing, capital equipment or supplies based on Elmgrove Laboratories’ needs. Manages the oversight of purchasing activities for the lab to maintain alignment with standardization and cost control. Evaluates impacts of operational changes, strategic planning and departmental needs and recommends budgetary adjustments as appropriate. Identifies and implements cost saving initiatives and productivity improvement measures.