Nurse Practitioner - Breast Center
Provide on-site clinical coverage during the evening, night, and weekend hours for the Department of Surgery its attending physicians at Rochester General Hospital. Coverage includes direct patient care, in-house consults, performance of bedside procedures, and occasional first assisting within the operating room.
STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Department of Surgery - Breast Center
SCHEDULE: Rotating Shifts
- Must have First Assist Certificate to work with patients in the Operating Room
- Compassionate, warm and patient focused
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Exceptional documentation skills and professional behavior
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Direction. Responsible during duty hours for the patients on his/her service. He/She will participate as directed by the attending surgeon on the individual’s service.
- Monitoring. Notifies attending surgeon of any sudden, serious change in a patient’s condition.
- Management. Sets up peripheral infusions by means of vena puncture, inserts NG tubes, catheterizes for bladder drainage, changes dressings, irrigates wounds, sutures minor lacerations under surgeon supervision, removal of sutures and removes drains as ordered, assists in cardio-pulmonary resuscitation, applies and removes casts under supervision, starts blood transfusions, does arterial punctures for blood gas estimates and venipuncture for laboratory data.
- Assistance. Assists in surgery – prepares and drapes the patient, acts as 1st or 2nd assistant to the surgeon, assists in the closure of the wound, dresses surgical incisions, attends patients transferred to the PACU, makes periodic checks of patients in PACU warranted by surgical procedure and the patient’s condition.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS RPA - Registered Physician Assistant - New York State Education Department (NYSED)