Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Nursery at Unity Hospital
The Pediatric Nurse Practitioner is responsible for the direct care and management of infants in the special care nursery. In the absence of an infant’s attending physician the Nurse Practitioner will perform the initial physical examination of newborns and establish any diagnosis of illness or abnormal physical condition. The Nurse practitioner will provide admission orders including medication orders. The NP will notify infants’ attending physician of births and will manage hospital care in the event that the attending physician does not practice at Park Ridge Hospital. The Nursery Medical Director will act as collaborating physician and be available for consultation and referral.
STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Newborn Nursery
SCHEDULE: D/E/N - Every Other Weekend & Every Other Holiday
- Graduate degree in Nursing with a concentration in advanced practice newborn nursing to include both didactic and clinical components and a valid NYS license as a Nurse Practitioner
- One (1) to Two (2) years of experience in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit is required
- Registered Nursing background with a valid NYS license
- Compassionate, warm and patient focused
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Exceptional documentation skills and professional behavior
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Documentation. Obtain complete, detailed and accurate patient histories, review patient records, perform physical exams, record all pertinent data to develop comprehensive medical status, diagnosis and clinical treatment plan for all assigned patients.
- Teamwork. Assist the supervising or attending physician with the delivery of services to neonates which include writing or dictating patient progress notes, issuing diagnostic orders, transcribing or executing specific orders at the direction of the physician.
- Education. Provide education, instruction, guidance and advise patients regarding medications and treatment, communicate with and counsel family members and recommend community resources to meet patient and family needs.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS RN - Registered Nurse - New York State Education Department (NYSED); NP - Nurse Practitioner Certification - New York State Education Department (NYSED)