Research Scientist - Human Immuology
We seek applications from highly motivated, ambitious junior scientists with strong human immunology expertise who want to advance to an academic (tenure-track faculty) or attractive industrial leadership position in the near future, following this 3 year appointment.The research interests of the lab are focused on vaccine development for human bacterial respiratory infectious disease pathogens that includes work with human PBMCS, mucosal samples and blood. Animal models of pathogenesis and immunity are used. The scientist is expected to first author high quality scientific papers and grant proposals to gain independence. This is not a postdoctoral position. Evidence of progressively more responsible and independent work in immunology required. The scientist will report directly to the Director of the Research Institute, Dr. Michael Pichichero, who will serve as mentor.
STATUS: Full Time
LOCATION: Rochester General Hospital
DEPARTMENT: Research Institute
- MD/PhD in immunology or related life sciences discipline with demonstrated interest in continuous learning
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to contribute to multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong writing and immunological analysis skills
- Mouse model and/or vaccine experience strongly preferred
- Devise, plan and execute experiments involving human samples of PBMCs, mucosal samples and blood
- Devise, plan and execute experiments involving mouse and/or in vitro model related to ongoing vaccine projects
- Administer relevant regulatory protocols for animal and biosafety work
- Maintain detailed scientific records of their work, and laboratory safety standards.
- Assist in the oversight of technical staff performing experiments
- Write research proposals for both federal and industry funding opportunities
- Write original research papers and present results both internally and externally
- Multi-color flow cytometry for immune cell populations
- Execute immunological assays to define vaccine correlates of protection
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS M - Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects; Requires frequent walking, standing or squatting.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS MD - NYS